An offset smoker is one of the classics when it comes to outdoor cooking!
It has a main cooking chamber with a firebox on the side. There is a small hole that connects the two parts, and this is where the smoke enters.
A lot of people prefer using an offset smoker because of its ease of use. It also heats the food indirectly, which results in a better flavor. It is also affordable and versatile.
Looking for the best offset smoker under 1000? Read on and we’ll talk about some of the best options available.
Our Top Picks for the Best Offset Smoker Under 1000
One of the biggest selling points of an offset smoker is that it is budget-friendly!
Even without the luxury of a huge budget, you can get a decent smoker!
If you have less than 1000 dollars to spare, below are the top products that should be on your radar.
1. Char-Broil American Gourmet Offset Smoker, Deluxe
First on our list is from a brand that many will instantly recognize.
The global reputation of the manufacturer alone is already a good reason to make it your top choice.
The versatility of this product is one of its best assets. Aside from being an offset smoker, you can also use it for barbecuing and grilling.
You will have generous space for everything that you have to cook in this offset smoker. The main cooking area is 670 square inches. The firebox chamber, on the other hand, is 355 square inches.
To provide a bigger space, it also has a storage rack for keeping your utensils organized.
The smoker provides you with complete control over the temperature. Although, you have to do so manually. There are adjustable dampers that will allow you to customize heat and smoke based on what a recipe requires.
We also love the grates that come with the grill. It is porcelain-coated, which makes it durable. This material can resist rust. It is also known for retaining heat efficiently. This helps to keep the temperature even as you cook.
It can be quite bulky and heavy, but that should not be a problem if you are looking for portability. It comes with two side wheels. This makes it easy to move the smoker from one location to another.
- High-quality porcelain-coated grates
- Comes with multiple adjustable dampers
- Easy to assemble
- Paint can easily peel off
- Gap in the box can make smoke escape
2. Dyna-Glo DGO1176BDC-D Charcoal Offset Smoker
If you prefer a vertical offset smoker, this is one product that deserves your attention.
One of the things that we love in this model is the generous space for smoking. It has a total smoking area of 784 square inches.
Inside the smoker, there are six adjustable racks. These racks are also removable. You can customize the height depending on what you will smoke.
To deliver the best in terms of performance, it comes with a 15,000 BTU cast iron burner.
In terms of construction, its body is made of heavy-duty steel. Even better, it has a powder-coat finish to make it long-lasting.
There’s no need to open the smoker to monitor the internal temperature. You can just look at the built-in temperature gauge strategically positioned in the front door. This prevents heat and smoke from escaping.
The adjustable flue in the smokestack makes this unit user-friendly. This allows users to easily control smoke and temperature.
- Retains heat for a long time
- Comes with a heavy-duty steel body
- Generous cooking area
- Small firebox
- Can be prone to smoke leaks
3. Char-Griller E1224 Smokin’ Pro Charcoal Grill
Like most of the options that are included in our recommendations, durability is one of the best assets of the Char-Griller E1224.
The heavy-duty steel can withstand many years of use. It also has a powder coating to make it longer-lasting.
There are features that will provide you total control of the grill.
You can easily adjust the height of the grate. This makes it possible to move the food closer or farther from the source of heat.
In terms of size, this model offers 580 square inches of total cooking area. The firebox, on the other hand, is 250 square inches.
On the side, there is a removable charcoal drawer. This allows you to add more charcoal without opening the main chamber.
- Easy to assemble
- Solid construction
- Gives users complete control
- Paint might easily peel
- Assembly can be tricky
4. Dyna-Glo Signature Series DGSS1382VCS-D Vertical Offset Charcoal Smoker and Grill
With a cooking area of 1,382 square inches, this is one of the biggest from the products on our list.
It also comes with multiple adjustable grates. You can customize the size of the grates based on what you will cook.
Inside the smoking chamber, there are also pre-installed hooks for sausages.
To easily access fuel and clean ash, there is a removable charcoal grate and ash pan on the side.
For ease of monitoring, you will also love how it comes with an analog temperature gauge. It also comes with indicators for Smoke and Grill Zones.
- Easy to clean and maintain
- Generous cooking space
- Cool-touch lid
- Some parts can easily bend
- May not hold heat well
5. Oklahoma Joe’s Longhorn Reverse Flow Smoker
Size is one of the best things about this reverse offset smoker.
Even when you are cooking for a large group, there is enough space for your needs!
The smoker has a main cooking chamber that is 751 square inches. The firebox chamber, on the other hand, is 309 square inches. That brings the total to 1,060 square inches!
It has four removable baffles that will make it easy to direct the smoke where it is needed.
This is also a great option if you are looking for versatility. With a quick adjustment, you can convert it from a traditional offset smoker to a reverse flow offset smoker.
The smoker also comes with handles that stay cool to the touch.
It is quite heavier than most of its counterparts. You have the size to blame for that! Good thing, it is equipped with two wheels that make it portable.
- Huge cooking area
- Easy to remove ash
- Great heat distribution
- Bulky and heavy
6. Outdoor Leisure SH36208 Smoke Hollow Barrel Smoker
This is the least popular from the products mentioned in this guide. However, that does not mean that you should discount the idea of buying this smoker.
It has 970 square inches of cooking area, which is enough for medium to large groups.
In terms of its construction, it is made of heavy-duty 12-gauge steel.
While the body itself is durable, there are some complaints about how the other components can be easily prone to wear.
It has mesh wire front table and bottom rack. This gives you the space needed for warming or organizing your grilling accessories.
- Easy to assemble
- Wheeled construction for portability
- Great for heat retention
- Some components can be flimsy
- Smoker box can be prone to leaks
Choosing the Best Offset Smoker
As you choose an offset smoker, below are the most important things to consider.
- Size: Consider the total cooking space, which can run anywhere from 300 to 1,300 square inches. The size of the firebox is also important, which determines the charcoal that you can use. For how many people will you be cooking? How much space do you have in the backyard? These factors will affect your choice based on size.
- Materials: This is important because it directly impacts the durability of the offset smoker. Choose a long-lasting material that can also retain heat well. Stainless steel is a common material of choice for the main body. The cooking grates, on the other hand, are often porcelain-coated.
- Ease of Use: Look for features that will make it easy to use. It should also be effortless in terms of care and maintenance. It will be good if there is a built-in temperature gauge for ease of monitoring. An ash pan is also good for ease of clean-up.
- Grates: Consider the number of grates available and its versatility. It will be good if the grates are removable so that you can customize the height based on what you will smoke.
From the materials to the features, there are different factors to consider when choosing the best offset smoker under 1000!
Price alone is not enough consideration as you narrow down the possibilities.
The worst thing that you can do is to buy an offset smoker only based on the price.
Make sure that you do not give up performance in exchange for the cost.
Keep an eye on the brands and models listed above. For sure, you will not regret buying the products reviewed in this short guide.
Is there any other product you would like to add on our list? Do not hesitate to let us know your recommendations.